Federal guidelines mandate that anyone applying for a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) must pass the Department of Transportation (DOT) physical exam every two years. The goal of this test is to determine whether an applicant is fit enough to drive safely at the present time as well as in the foreseeable future. Our physician will perform an examination which will include: a review of your medical history, urinalysis, measurement of your height, weight, blood pressure, and heart rate, as well as a check of your lung, vision, and hearing function.
The following are the requirements to pass the DOT physical exam:
• Your vision must be 20/40 in each eye and with both eyes combined, with or without correction.
• You must be able to determine the difference between the colors of traffic lights.
• You should be able to hear a forced whisper at a distance of at least 5 feet.
• You cannot have blood pressure over 160/100.
• Your blood sugar must be no higher than 200.
• You cannot be using habit forming drugs, amphetamines or narcotics.
• If you have a cardiac problem, such as heart failure, you need to have passed a stress test with a note from the physician stating you have no driving restrictions.
American Family Care is conveniently located at 12994 Highway 9. You can walk in any day between 8am to 6pm for your DOT Physical Exam. You will be able to leave with a completed Medical Examination Report of Commercial Driver Fitness Determination or we can fax or hand-deliver these forms to your employer, when appropriate.